In First Two Months, Oklahoma’s Powerball Players Win Nearly $3 Million in Prizes of at Least $10,000
OKLAHOMA CITY, OK – March 7, 2006 – This Sunday marks the two-month anniversary of the Oklahoma Lottery’s entry into Powerball. Through the first 15 drawings, including the Saturday, March 4 drawing, Oklahoma’s Powerball players have won nearly $3 million in prizes of at least $10,000. The breakdown of “high-tier” winners is as follows:
Five players each have won $200,000 or more for matching 5 of 5 white balls.
- One of the five players selected the Power Play option on their lucky night and won $800,000, the highest Oklahoma Lottery prize paid to date. The multiplier number for that drawing was 4. For an extra $1, Power Play gives players a chance to multiply their Powerball winnings (not including the jackpot) by 2, 3, 4, or 5 times the original prize amount. The winning ticket was purchased in Midwest City.
- Another of the Match 5 winners won a total of $667,142 ($200,000 for matching 5 white balls, plus $467,142 from the Match 5 Bonus Pool during the recent record-setting $365 million jackpot). The $667,142 winning ticket was sold in Ardmore.
Forty-nine players have won $10,000 or more for matching 4 of 5 white balls, of which 23 also chose the Power Play option.
- Thirteen won $50,000 (Power Play number was 5)
- Seven won $40,000 (Power Play number was 4)
- One prize of $30,000 (Power Play number 3)
- Two won $20,000 (Power Play number 2)
“While mega-jackpots are what originally attract players to Powerball, we find that it’s the odds of winning the other eight prizes that are helping to build a loyal base of Oklahoma Powerball players,” said Jim Scroggins, executive director of the Oklahoma Lottery. “These players know that by matching five numbers, for example, and then combining their base $200,000 prize with the Power Play option, they can walk home with a cash prize ranging from $400,000 up to $1 million, depending on the multiplier number for that night’s drawing.”
During the month of March, Powerball will feature a special promotional option-Power Play 10X. For a limited time, the 10X promotion allows a winner to multiply their original prize by 10 times and win up to $2,000,000.
Powerball drawings are held every Wednesday and Saturday at 9:59 p.m. (CST) and are telecast live on the lottery’s drawing stations – KOKH-Fox and KOCB-WB in Oklahoma City, and on KWBT-WB in Tulsa. Results are also available immediately after each drawing on the lottery’s official website at www.lottery.ok.gov and are distributed to the media for television and radio broadcast as well as printed daily in newspapers throughout the state.
Players can purchase Powerball tickets – and the optional Power Play multiplying feature – at lottery-contracted retail locations throughout the state until 7:59 p.m. (CST) on the night of the drawing.
All profits from the Oklahoma Lottery are used to support improvements and enhancements for educational purposes and programs at all levels – from Pre-Kindergarten to higher education.
For more information please contact Marisa Schrieber, PR Specialist, Jordan Associates, at 405.507.6209, or visit Oklahoma Lottery’s official website at www.lottery.ok.gov.